Tuesday, July 16, 2013

IBS and Penicillin Don't Mix



Well I learned something new on Sunday... the hard way! After having one of the worst IBS attacks that I have ever had, I did some research and found out that penicillin can trigger the attacks. I was prescribed the penicillin after the wisdom teeth surgery last week and though the pain was getting better my belly still didn't feel right. I thought this was due to the pudding/jello diet that I was trying to adhere to but I was wrong wrong wrong. My IBS did not like the penicillin and let me know that. If you don't have IBS I will fill you in on what an attack feels like (to me at least). If feels like someone is wringing out my intestines like a towel while stabbing me. While this is going on, my entire body is sweating profusely and the pain is putting me into tears. Previous attacks lasted about an hour but this one was 3 hours of pain and tears. Today, I am glad the pain is gone but now I know for the future to stay away from Penicillin

Here are some funny cartoons about IBS:


1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry the hear all the suffering it cost you to learn this! I was diagnosed with IBS in the '90s, back when probiotics weren't the popular thing. I've found a daily probiotic is enough to ward off the attacks. Here's wishing you improved health. (I found you on the etsy blog team.)

    ReplyDelete