Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My First Outdoor Market Season


I had always wanted to do the local farmer's markets and fairs but wasn't sure how my creations would sell at those venues. I limited myself to thinking my business was a craft show business even if I had the urges to expand to the spring/summer seasons. Well I took the dive this year. I found out that most of the popular markets start the application process back in February and March which is the end of my craft show season. By the time I looked into this in May, most of the markets were booked.

 I have managed to find a new market on Saturdays in Harmony, NJ. It is run by this extremely nice woman on her farm. There has been a different set of vendors each week since its start on June 1st. Most of them handmade vendors and artists which is nice to support each other. The struggle with this market is getting people there. Most people that stop by are looking for a flea market not handmade creations. I am going to give this market a few more weeks and if I am still not making at least my table money then I am going to have to say Good Bye.

On Sundays, I am at the Belvidere Farmer's Market (Belvidere, NJ). This is one that I debated on doing for quite a while because going to church is very important to Lily and I. One of my fellow church members approached me last week and asked me to give it a try. My only stipulation was that Lily still had to be in church so of course my church being the wonderful people they are made sure she was watched over in church. People really loved my soaps! My first day was a great day and I can't wait to go back this Sunday!

My biggest market this summer is the Warren County Farmer's Fair from July 27th through August 3rd. This is the market that I have always wanted to do but was afraid of having enough supplies and enough money for the table. The table is $180 for the week which is my largest fee of the season but worth it for the week. I have been going to this fair for the past 5 years with my family and there is always a large crowd no matter which day or what time. This is the one that scares me and excites me at the same time!

I don't have anything lined up for August yet because the large fairs, Musik Fest and Allentown Fair, start their application process well before I looked into it. I am excited about expanding my seasons to be a full year now and next year is going to be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment