Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Being Skinny is Not Being Healthy


All my life I have been what is considered skinny and never thought about it until I started gaining weight recently. As a child and teen, I was a dancer, gymnast and cheerleader which kept me in shape though that came with its own issues (anorexia). As an adult, I just kept up the same eating regime though as each year past I have gotten lazier and lazier. The thought of exercising exhausts me let alone actually getting off my extremely comfortable reclining chair, turning off the tv and moving around. I have had more injuries to my body as an adult then I did when I was as a competitive cheerleader (yes all those Bring It On movies they are real cheerleading competitions!)  Even more injuries since Lily was born such as a torn ACL in my left knee that has now been torn twice because I was afraid to have surgery the first time. 

Now I am dealing with  weight gain and feeling sluggish all of the time since I had surgery to remove my gallbladder in February. I went from 115 pounds (yes I know skinny) to 130 pounds in just a few months (yes I know still on the skinny side). The weight gain isn't the real problem, it is the exhaustion from doing anything, the fact that I can't get through the day without my body shutting down and taking a nap (I try to fight it but usually can't) and that I don't have the money to buy a whole new wardrobe. When I split my jeans at a barbecue on Sunday that was it!(Those jeans are going to be made into a handbag and apron to be blogged about another time) After yesterday's festivities, I am determined to take control back of my body.

So I am putting myself on a Get UP and GO campaign. I know that part of my problem has been that I just don't feel like doing anything so now is the time to push past all of that NO NO NO I hear in my head. Eating healthy is just a portion of what needs to be done (I am a pasta/carb-o-holic). I am going to research some diets that fit into my gluten-free eating lifestyle so that I can feel good with what is going into my body. 

My big challenge which I am going to document for June is going to be to take 1/2 hour-1 hour each day to exercise. I am going to walk on days that it is not raining (in more recent years June has been rainy for Jersey). I am going to force my butt out of bed early in the morning to start my day off with yoga. In between all of that I am going to try out different workouts to see which one I like the best. I see the advertisments on tv all of the time like the Insanity work out, Zumba and bunch of others. So instead of buying them, I am going to rent them from my library, rent them from netflix and borrow them from friends. Not every workout is for everyone so I need to figure out which one or ones work for me. 

I hope you will enjoy reading about my journey to take back my body. Tuesdays will be about healthy living and will still feature gluten free product reviews and recipes along with other great tips!
Have a wonderful Tuesday and smile!

4 comments:

  1. It's great that you're going to make positive changes! I'm thin, too, but have noticed my weight creeping up because I fell off the exercise wagon. Good luck and I hope we both accomplish what we want. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and good luck on your exercise journey!

      Delete
  2. I'm sending you lots of luck with your exercise program! I know how hard it is to commit to something like this but I have a feeling that you are going to make it a big success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am hoping to make some progress with feeling better through exercise and get my blood flowing.

      Delete