Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Cookies Cookies by Finnoula Louise A Gluten Free Cookie Recipe Book

This blog post is an inspirational story for the parents of gluten-free kids and everyone who bakes gluten free! Cookies Cookies was created, written and illustrated by a little girl that lives with Celiac Disease. This inspirational little girl is Finnoula Louise who is 7 years old and is so adorable, kind and inspirational! 

Finnoula Louise wrote her first book at the age of 6 when she was just a Kindergartner. The book is called Aminals Animals is about the world of animals through the eyes of a 6 year old. This book received the Mom's Choice Awards Silver Recipient Award for being a wonderful first words book.

 After her wonderful success with Aminals Animals, Finnoula created the book Cookies Cookies: A Year of Holiday Treats! The book highlights each of the major American holidays with a special gluten free cookie and a little quip from Finnoula. At the end of the book is tips for kids and parents for baking the cookies. The recipe for the gluten-free sugar cookies was cretaed by Chef Shaun Vanclief. 

The upcoming holidays featured in the book. 
I met Miss Finnoula when I was attending my last show of the holiday season. It was the first time I had attended this show which has gotten rave reviews in the past and ended up set up next to Finnoula's book table. Her mom explained to me about Finnoula's love of books and writing and how she wrote both the books on display. My golden rule when attending shows is that I must make money before I spend money or I would go home in debt. Well I made an exception this time because I believed in supporting a little girl with a dream and drive. Before I found out that I needed to eat gluten-free, a dear friend of mine was on a gluten-free diet so I bought her the Cookies Cookies book. Then I saw the kit that Finnoula was selling that included her Cookies Cookies book, cookie cutters, a mini rolling pin, measuring spoons and cups and a book/marker kit for another child to write their own book! I was sold because Lily loves books!

The kit that Lily will one day inherit!
The more I speak about gluten-free eating and bring it into our house, the more Lily is conscious about eating gluten-free. We have made these cookies twice already and have been a big hit each time. I don't have the heart to use the kit because it is so cute and I don't want to get it all messy. I may end up saving the kit until Lily is old enough to be on her own and give it to her as a housewarming gift from her youth. Yes, I am nostalgic like that! This summer we plan on writing her own book now that she is getting better at her writing skills. (I am sure that will be a another blog post in the future) Her book is proudly displayed along with a couple of other of my go-to cook books for gluten-free and vegetarian meals. 

As an adult, I have wanted to write a book for many years but never had the courage to take on such a feat. This little girl has written not one but two books and received an award already as she lives with a disease the needs to be monitored daily. She is an inspiration to each and everyone of us that we have control of our lives so do something great and Pay It Forward! 

You have buy either of Finnoula's books if you follow this link: Finnoula Louise on Amazon or clicking any picture or blue link in the blog post. Please support the drive of an amazing little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment