Monday, May 20, 2013

Kids Upcycled Crayon Cookies

As I was cleaning through Lily's 100s of books on Saturday, I found a book I bought at a used book sale months ago called Kids Create! Art & Craft Experiences for 3 to 9 year olds. There is a ton of simple, easy crafts geared towards holidays, seasons and different materials to keep kids creating all year round. So my Monday goal is going to be to take a different craft each week from the book, Lily and I will create and critique to directions and design. Also, we will suggest some changes or other options to the designs.

This weekend we started with an easy craft, Upcycled Crayon Cookies, that was served two purposes in our lives. One, it took all the little pieces of crayons and put them to good use. Two, it gave Lily something to do for nearly 3 hours! I am going to give you the directions and leave my critique and suggestions until the end of the post.

Supplies:
Broken Crayon and Crayon pieces
Cupcake Cup Liners
Muffin Pan
Oven

Directions:
1. Gather the broken crayons and have your child peel the paper off the crayons. (This is what took Lily hours to do!) ADULT: preheat oven to 400 degrees when your child is nearly done with their pile.














2. Line the muffin pan with the cupcake cup liners.














3. Place the crayon pieces in the cupcake liners. I put about 5-6 pieces in each liner. 1/2" or smaller is better for melting the crayons evenly.














4. Place the muffin pan in the oven and bake for 3-4 mins. You do NOT want to melt them completely because the colors will mix to black/brown. You want them just nearly melted and still a bit soft because the pan will help to finish the melting process.















5. Let the crayon cookies sit for 6 hours to set and harden.













6. Give to the kids for a brand new crayon to color you a picture!

The Critique: The process was fun for Lily to see her crayons become something new. She got frustrated with the Crayola Crayons because they use a glue to hold the wrapper on the crayon which was difficult for her tiny fingers to peel them off. I used pieces that were 1/4"-1" or larger. That was a big mistake because the smaller pieces melted quickly and the large pieces didn't want to melt. So when the cookies came out, it looked like most of them were black so I was worried. Once I took them out of the liner and flipped them over, I found all the colors were on the other side! So pretty and swirled around colors. My other direction change was that the timing was 5 minutes for baking but after 3 minutes my oven was smoking from the melting of wax. So I suggest only 3-4 minutes for baking. 

Overall the craft was fun and something that can be used again and again in the future! 







No comments:

Post a Comment