Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Donating to Help Oklahoma Residents

In a time of tragedy and disaster whether it is natural or terrorist, people come together to help each other. It is amazing how people will come together to help people that they don't know, have never met or will never meet because they need help. Last year, I experienced this with living in New Jersey and getting hit with Hurricane Sandy. We were at my church at the time the hurricane hit and a huge Oak tree came down across the street and landed in the front yard of the church. That caused the power to be out for almost 2 weeks and community to bond in the fellowship hall of the church that cooked 24/7 for anyone that needed to eat because they had a gas stove. From that moment, Lily and I stayed at the church and helped serve people all day and night. I crocheted by candle light when we had no people to serve and bonded with a town that became my family. 

I am unable to go out to Oklahoma to help the people hit by that tragic tornado to help them physically but I am going to help in a way that I can right now. I am donating 25% of all my sales until June 30th to the Red Cross Oklahoma Disaster Relief Fund. I know that it is not much but I something I learned is that a little bit is better then nothing. I am extending this offer in any of my shops: Etsy, The CraftStar, My Website and another websites that I am selling on. 

People who wish to make a direct donation can support American Red Cross Disaster Relief, which helps provide food, shelter and emotional support to those affected by disasters like the recent tornadoes in Oklahoma and Texas as well as disasters big and small throughout the United States by visiting redcross.org, dialing 1-800-REDCROSS or texting REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

As New Jersey shows, it takes months or years to recover from a natural disaster but Oklahoma will go get through it with the help of kind hearts. I will treasure those moments for the rest of my life because it came at a time of devastation as people lost their homes to flooding, hurricane winds or fire as an aftermath of the storm. Please help in any way that you can because you never know when it may happen to you. We are people with hearts that help each other so come and join us and pay it forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment