Friday, May 10, 2013

Handmade Bath Salts in an Upcycled Jar DIY


What mom, at any age, doesn't love a handmade Mother's Day Gift? Every mom loves a handmade gift from their child because they know it was made with love. These cute little jars filled with handmade bath salts are quick and easy to make with items you find at the grocery store, craft store and around your house! The jars are old jars I had around the house because I never throw out something that I could use again. So there is a mason jar, salsa jar and pickled cabbage jar. I made these 3 jars from bare nothing to decorate, filled and ready to give away in less then an hour. 

Supplies
Supplies: (to make one jar)
1 jar (thoroughly cleaned so that you don't have a lingering food smell)
Hot Glue Gun
Ribbon, Buttons or anything else you want to decorate the jars 
1 cup Epson Salt
1/2 cup fine Sea Salt
1/2 cup coarse Sea Salt
Food Coloring
Essential Oil (you can find this at Michael's in the soap making section)
Plastic Wrap
Spoon to add to the jar at the end


Directions:
1. Decorate the jar as you wish for it to look. I used scrap ribbon from other projects, buttons and a flower from an outfit that my daughter out grew. Be careful with the hot glue gun and don't let children help with this part!
Decorated Jars

2. In a bowl combine the salts and mix well so that the different salts are disbursed evenly.

3. Add 5-6 drops of food coloring. You will see the food coloring create dime size balls of salts and you will press down on these as you mix the salts so that you have the coloring spread evenly. Keep adding drops of food coloring until you reach your desired color. It took me about 15 drops of food coloring for the batch for 3 jars. 
Add Food Coloring and Mix Well

4. Add 5 drops of your essential oil (I used Oatmeal Honey Milk from Bramble Berry because I received as a sample in one of my orders). Mix around like you did with the food coloring. I used a total of 10 drops for the batch I made. 
Add Essential Oil and Mix Well

5. Add the salts to the jar and cover with plastic wrap. Since I wanted to add a vintage spoon to each of my jars, I secured the spoon and the plastic wrap with a thin piece of ribbon (2 in 1 solution). 

6. Give your mom this cute gift!

I hope you enjoy this gift idea! I had a little bit leftover and Lily took a bath with the salts and loved it so you can use this for kids and adults alike!!




No comments:

Post a Comment