Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Black Thumb

Most people brag that they are green thumbs and can grow all these amazing plants and flowers.... that is NOT me!! I love flowers (hence Lily's name after Calla Lily) and have attempted to grow plants in the past which have been an epic failure. No matter how much sun I gave the plants, watered them and tried to love them... my poor plants would just die. 

As the mother of a vegetarian, I wanted to be able to grow some of my own vegetables so that Lily always had a snack throughout the summer. Plus this would give her a self of responsibility (since I tend to take care of her Hamster, Stinky, more then she does) by helping me with watering and loving the plants. Of course, I am hoping that at the end of the season I will have a sense of accomplishment and boost to my ego by actually growing these plants. 

Heirloom Tomato
Sage
So... to the plants! I am starting off with a heirloom tomato plant since this is Lily's favorite type of tomato, a sage plant because I love to cook with it and add it to my water for a little flavor and lastly Zinnia flowers only because when I bought soaping gloves the packet was included free (love me some free items!) I am using Miracle Grow soil with the amazing Miracle Grow nutrients already in it. The tomato plant was so easy to plant in the big pot because it was in a biodegradable pot! I love how eco-friendly that is!! The sage plant was an easy transfer and the seeds for the flowers I just sprinkled over the soil as directed (not pictured since it is just soil. 

I will be tracking our progress of how we keep these plants alive... hopefully! Wish us luck and I hope this inspires you to try and grow a plant or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment