Thursday, May 30, 2013

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cake

In the beginning of the month I bought a box of Gluten Free Hodgson Mills Vanilla Cake Mix to give a try since Lily and I like to bake. Well I am never one to read the directions until I am about to bake... big mistake! I didn't realize that I need buttermilk for the recipe which I am not a fan of at all and that YOU add your vanilla flavoring. It is a good thing that I had just enough left. I guess we have gotten spoiled with all the cake mixes that have most of the ingredients just add milk and eggs, stir and bake. 

So I gathered all the ingredients that I had to make this cake and made a few changes.  Instead of buttermilk, I would use Almond milk. Since I am not a vanilla cake person, I need to spice up the cake a little bit. The recipe on the box said I could add powered chocolate which I had none BUT I had chocolate chips! 

So the mixing process went well at first.... after 10 minutes of mixing with my handmixer there was still lumps. The directions didn't say whether there would or should be lumps so I kept mixing until my arm hurt. Then I was done... it was what it was at this point. Into the oven it went. Since my rectangle pan has gone missing, I used my square pan. The baking time called for 20-25 minutes but mine took about 50 minutes to bake which could be the combination of the square pan and the almond milk.

The cake looked really yummy, smelled really yummy but would it taste really yummy? I topped the cake with a vanilla icing and since I am the world's worst icer, I added sprinkles. The taste test....
Meagan: thumbs up Lily: thumbs down!

To me the cake was nice and moist and tastey. To Lily the cake was just yucky and she wanted some other dessert. 


4 comments:

  1. Your Meagan/Lily reviews crack me up!
    If you don't have buttermilk, you can add a "tad" of vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny she and I have completely different tastes in food. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. What a coincidence! I baked a gluten-free cake today too!
    I find it takes longer to bake if it's gluten-free, but it turned out well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be the day for cakes! My sweet tooth is loving it. Enjoy your cake!

    ReplyDelete